Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Use Your Muscles

Monday I was working out with my boyfriend's mom. We went to the gym and walked a mile on the track and rode a stationary bike for 30 minutes. Afterwards I was wanting to hit the weights. We didn't though because she was nervous... taking her time to build up her momentum. I see both sides to this and feel it is something I must write about. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion on this so please do your own research and do what is comfortable for you and what your doctor recommends you do.

I see her and her husband's side, taking the time and build the momentum. Right now she is doing cardio which is very healthy. It will make her heart stronger, it will build some of her commonly used muscles, it will attack the fat. They want to build on that and when she feels strong enough, then she can hit the weights.

My concern for her, and let's be real, is she is in her late 40's. Now this is not much of a concern yet, but I know of many inactive people that as they get older have difficulties changing their habits and though cardio is a great way to work out, building your muscles are just as important. I remember reading Fitness for Dummies back in 2008 that weight lifting protects your bones. As we get older, our bones naturally lose density. Other things like illnesses, diseases, and how we eat also effect our bone density. One way to protect our bones is to build the muscle around them. You can read more about weight lifting and fitness here.

When you begin to lift weights, you always start light. You work up to heavier weights. I have never gotten bulky from the weight lifting I have ever done. I always joke that there is a toned me underneath all this blubber. Where there is not as much fat, you can see definition.

I think it is important to include both cardio and weight lifting for both reasons; a more well-balanced fitness program. When you begin finding what works for you, you need to do the research. Not all programs work for all people. I also remember reading in Fitness for Dummies that not all trainers are knowledgeable, so if you get a trainer, do your research on them and on fitness. Have questions ready to ask them during a consultation. If you do it alone, be aware of the muscles you are using and how you feel while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment